How To Remove Skunk Odor Smells
My personal experiences with skunks is avoid them whenever possible and take measures on your own property to prevent encounters with them in the first place. The best advice I can give is hire a professional to remove the offending skunk or skunks and follow their recommendations on preventing any re-occurrance.
There is one thing about skunks that once`you have smelled a skunks spray it remains embedded in your mind as one of the most obnoxious and most memorable smells known to man. Many of us have had our experience with skunks or know of a relative or neighbor who has shared a unforgettable experience related to getting sprayed by a skunk or have a property that a skunk has sprayed on. Sometimes just driving down the highway alone can yield this nasty fragrance either by hitting a skunk ourselves or simply driving by a dead skunk in the middle or side of the road and the smell just on lingers for days.
I had a neighbor while growing up that had a dog who had cornered a skunk on the property and she ran out with a broom to stop the encounter and ended up both her and her dog were sprayed with that ever memorable odorous yellow liquid that seemed to just linger on for days.
Here Is A Popular Skunk Remedy Recipe that really works:In a plastic bucket or similar container, mix the following ingredients very well:
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide- Most Hydrogen peroxide is sold by the pint so you will probably need two bottles.
1/4 cup of baking soda-NaHCO3-Sodium Bicarbonate Note: Make sure you are using Baking Soda and never washing soda since the alkalinity of washing soda (sodium carbonate) is very powerful and will actually cause burning of your skin and any membranes it comes into contact with
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap-Soft Soap, Ivory or Dawn Dish Soap work very well and I recommend them!
1. Very large pets often require an additional quart of lukewarm tap water to ensure complete coverage of your pet.
2. Wash pet your thoroughly, working the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose be your guide, and simply leave the remedy solution on for about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some areas may require a “rinse and repeat” washing.
3. Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes – it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex or rubber gloves for the same reason.
4. After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.
5. Pour the any remaining spent solution down the drain with running water. You can cause injury by trying to store it since the solution will actually build up pressure while stored and can cause serious injuries.